Modern society has made life more stressful than ever before, so we all feel a bit comprehensive at times. We constantly worry about our future, work, health, family, and so on.
Therefore, people often feel anxious and fail to lead a normal everyday life. In the case of severe anxiety, people worry about too many things without a rational reason, and it severely impedes their normal skills and activities in life.
All around the world, but especially in America, the anxiety disorder is the most common mental illness. Only in the U.S., about 6.8 million adults suffer from generalized anxiety disorder.
Moreover, women are more prone to anxiety than men. Usually, the condition occurs in the adolescence period and the symptoms increase as time passes by.
In a lot of cases, depression and anxiety occur as a consequence of neurochemical imbalance in the body, like decrease in serotonin or dopamine. Let’s take look at the most common symptoms of this condition:
– Body pains, muscle tension, and aches
– Unrealistic view of problems
– Worrying about simple, everyday tasks
– Nausea and stomach pains
– Difficulty concentrating
– Increased need to visit the bathroom
– Difficulty swallowing
– Mood swings and irritability
– Inability to relax
– Depression symptoms
– Restlessness and being easily startled, or “on edge”
– Frequent headaches
– Short of breath or lightheadedness
– Difficulty staying asleep or falling asleep
– Twitching or trembling
The usual treatment of anxiety involves Valium, Xanax, Ativan and other benzodiazepines. But, they all cause addiction, so if patients quit their use, they will develop additional physical and psychological distress. Sometimes, chronic anxiety or panic attacks are treated with Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, Zoloft, Effexor, and other antidepressants- all of which cause severe side effects but rarely positive results.
As opposed to these conventional treatments, a lot of researchers recommend lavender as a natural, effective treatment of anxiety. A study published in the Phytomedicine journal proved that lavender oil is as effective as lorazepam (Ativan), without causing any sedative effects or dependence.
The benefits of lavender oil in the treatment of anxiety have been confirmed by many studies. Some of its benefits include:
– relieving nervousness, restlessness, and insomnia
– treating symptoms of depression
– helping in case of agitation related to dementia
– helping in case of inflammatory and painful conditions, as well as joint pain and migraines
How to Use it to Calm Nervousness and Other Symptoms of Anxiety
– You can take a lavender tea and all you need is just 1 to 2 tablespoons of lavender flowers (dried) put in a mug of boiled water.
– Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, then you need to strain it prior to drinking the tea.
– Add pure natural honey if you like.
– You can also take your bath with a few drops of lavender oil in your bath water.
– You can obtain supplements of lavender oil in capsule form and as an adult you can make it a part of your daily dietary plan.
– However, before treating yourself see a doctor to confirm that the treatment is ideal for you.
If combined with pharmaceutical medications like certain antidepressants, benzodiazepines (Xanax, Ativan, Valium), or narcotics like codeine, the oral use of lavender, as well as in the case of aromatherapy may lead to drowsiness.
However, if you take any prescription medications, it is best to consult your doctor before its use.