Pilonidal Cysts are cysts that usually occur in and around the bottom region of the tailbone. Resembling normal cysts that occur elsewhere in the body, pilonidal cysts are usually filled with pus and are prone to infections. Some cysts also contain hair follicles. Infected cysts can be extremely painful and can make it very difficult for the individual to even walk or sit. In severe cases, the cysts can rupture, ooze pus or bleed.
The exact cause for the occurrence of Pilonidal cysts is not clearly known. In certain cases, the presence of a large abscess in and around the sacroccygeal area can trigger the development of pilondial cysts below the tailbone. An asymptomatic hair in the nearby area that contains sinuses or cysts can also lead to the formation of pilonidal cysts. The occurrence of these cysts is more common in men than in women and is usually prevalent in men below 40 years of age. In certain cases, the cysts can remain dormant for several years and flare up all of a sudden; causing symptoms like pain, redness, pus drainage, bleeding, inflammation and even fever etc.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for pilonidal cysts.
1. Warm Compresses
Applying a warm compress over the infected cysts can bring down swelling to an extent and offer relief from the pain and discomfort caused by the condition.
Alternatively, you can fill a bathtub or bucket with hot water (not too hot though) and sit in it for about 10-15 minutes to get relief from the pain caused by the cysts.
Or, you can Soak a washcloth in hot water and wring out the excess water. Hold the warm cloth on the affected area for a few minutes. Repeat 3 or 4 times a day until the fluid starts draining.
2. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another very effective remedy for this painful problem.
This oil has healing and curative powers in the form of antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, which can keep an infection at bay.
Plus, as the oil penetrates deep into the skin, it promotes faster healing.
1. Dilute tea tree oil with water in the ratio of 1:10.
2. Apply it to the affected area and leave it on for 10 minutes.
3. Rinse the area with lukewarm water and pat dry thoroughly.
4. Use this remedy 2 or 3 times daily.
3. Epsom Salt
Scrubbing down with Epsom salt can facilitate the irritation and give relief from the agony. Epsom salt has magnesium and sulfate that can help in the expulsion of toxins from the sore. Some Epsom salt ought to be included into a hot shower water. You must absorb the hot shower water for a minimum of 15 minutes. Scrubbing down with Epsom salt can debilitate the blister and make it burst.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Using apple cider vinegar can also help treat pilonidal cysts.
Its anti-inflammatory property helps reduce pain and inflammation. In addition, the antiseptic and antibacterial nature of apple cider vinegar prevents bacterial growth that can trigger further infection and delay the healing process.
– Mix 2 or 3 teaspoons of organic, raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in ½ cup of warm water. Soak a cotton ball in this solution and place it directly on the affected area for about 1 minute. Repeat this remedy 3 or 4 times daily for a few days.
– Alternatively, add 1 teaspoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and drink it twice daily to promote healing from within.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil is likewise an exceptionally compelling solution for pilonidal growth. Rub the region of skin with castor oil routinely for fast relief. This is one of the best home remedies for pilonidal cyst. Castor oil is effective in lessening inflammation and quickens the recuperating of the pilonidal blister. You can likewise cover it with a cotton ball, dipped in castor oil, and wrap it with tape.
Garlic is known for its potent antibacterial, antibiotic and antiseptic properties which are known to fight off all kinds of infections from the human body.
Adding garlic to your meals can help reduce the occurrence of pilonidal cysts by controlling the infection behind it. You can also eat a few cloves of garlic every day to get relief from the symptoms.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is one of the most effective and trusted home remedies for pilonidal cyst. Aloe Vera is a restorative plant with thick and pointy green leaves. The thick Aloe Vera’s leaf contains vile water-filled tissue that looks like gel. The bioactive mixes in the Aloe Vera contain cancer prevention agents and antibacterial properties. Rubbing the Aloe Vera gel onto the influenced region can quicken the healing of a pilonidal problem. You can likewise drink Aloe Vera juice to get rid of your pilonidal ailment.
Turmeric is another very effective home treatment for pilonidal cysts. The compound curcumin in it exhibits an anti-inflammatory property that reduces inflammation and pain. Plus, the antiseptic property of turmeric helps prevent and treat any infection.
– Mix 1 tablespoon of turmeric powder with a little water to make a paste. Smear this paste on the cyst and let it dry on its own. Rinse the area with lukewarm water. Repeat 2 or 3 times daily for a few days.
– Alternatively, drinking a glass of milk with 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder mixed in is also recommended.
9. Black Tea Bags
The acidic property of black tea avoids these cysts from getting even worse and helps keep an infection at bay. The tea’s anti-inflammatory nature also offers remedy for pain and swelling.
1. Dip a black tea bag in warm water for 5 minutes.
2. Remove it from the water and squeeze out the excess water.
3. Hold the moist tea bag over the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Repeat a few times daily for several days.
10. Indian Lilac (Neem)
You can utilize Indian lilac, also called neem, to treat this annoying issue.
Due to its natural antiseptic and anti-bacterial qualities, neem can promote healing and keep an infection at bay.
– Grind a handful of thoroughly washed neem leaves into a paste. Apply the paste on the affected location. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes before washing it off with lukewarm water. Do this 3 or 4 times a day.
– Additionally, boil a handful of neem leaves in a pan filled with water until half of the water evaporates. Pressure and permit the water to cool. Wash the afflicted location with this neem-infused water 2 or 3 times a day.
– To prevent pilonidal cysts, keep the location clean and dry.
– After utilizing the restroom, clean the area with some water and odorless tissue paper.
– Do not utilize creams or gels on the affected location, as it may aggravate the skin better.
– Wash the afflicted location with warm water and antibacterial soap and pat dry thoroughly.
– Prevent getting any type of moisture in the location.
– Do not touch the location with filthy hands.
– If needed, slim down to decrease the threat of developing this uncomfortable problem.
– Avoid extended sitting to avoid the problem as well as to quicken the recovery procedure.
– Keep walking or taking a turn around your house or your work area often.
– Do not attempt to poke the cysts with any sharp tools to promote fluid drainage.
– For the time being, sleep on your side or your stomach.
– Aim to leave the injury open to the air when at house and relaxing.
– Utilize a bandage to secure the injury when heading out.
– Include of anti-inflammatory foods like almonds, walnuts, fatty fish, olive oil, and green leafy vegetables in your diet plan to battle discomfort and inflammation.
– When the condition heals, select laser epilation to keep the area devoid of hair.